Banana-peanut butter French toast
This egg-free, butter-free take on Traditional French toast was inspired by “Turon ng saging”, a popular fried banana-based Filipino snack, combined with my obsession with peanut butter.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 1 person
For the toast
- 1 large banana
- 1/3 cup plant milk soy works best
- 3 slices bread
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tspn ground ginger
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
For the toppings (optional)
- Mixed berries
- Lotus Biscoff spread
1. In a medium-sized bowl, mash the banana thoroughly, until the mixture is smooth and without chunks.
2. Add in the plant milk and mix well.
3. Add in the peanut butter and stir until it has completely incorporated into the batter.
4. Dunk one slice of bread into the batter and ensure that both sides are evenly coated.
5. Transfer the slice of bread into a pan and fry on medium heat. You may wish to use vegetable oil for frying to prevent the batter from sticking to the pan.
6. Flip the slice over after 1.5-2 minutes or until the batter is nicely browned.
7. Repeat steps 4-6.
8. Add as many toppings as you desire! My favourite combo consists of warmed mixed berries, a flax-chia-hempseed blend and a drizzle of warmed Lotus Biscoff spread. Maple syrup also works really well.